$$$WE BUY VINTAGE FISHING TACKLE$$$
RODS: CANE WOOD TRULINES
REELS: FLY & BIG GAME PRE 1945
LURES: WOOD BONE IVORY BAKELITE

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Socal fishing history

For those of you that know me you know I am a fishing history nut. I have studied the Catalina tuna club for years, the tackle the first socal tuna fishers used and the captains that ran the boats of Catalina. There has been a fair amount of books and articles written on these subjects. What I have found though is very little has been written on the 1950's - 1970's. We were lucky to see I book published about the great Bill Poole before he passed away. My question is, what about guys like Russ Izor, Jack Ward and Dick Helgren? Last month I had put out that I was looking for old copies of western outdoor news and was given a couple hundred copies of them from 77'-81' by long ranger guru Tim Turis(thanks tim). When I crack them open here at the tackle shop guys flock to them with great laughs and smiles. Well anyway, I am still looking for more info or memorabilia. If you have anything that could help me I would love to purchase or borrow it. In the meantime I am working on another book with my friend Ward Coppersmith about commercial tuna fishing jigs. Here are a couple photos. Wish me luck eric

No comments:

Post a Comment