$$$WE BUY VINTAGE FISHING TACKLE$$$
RODS: CANE WOOD TRULINES
REELS: FLY & BIG GAME PRE 1945
LURES: WOOD BONE IVORY BAKELITE

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chopper 6/18


Back at it today and boy, have things changed. First off the water has warmed up and the wind in the mornings is gone plus we are finding dorado around. I was neck deep in a school just off the coast of Nopolo and I head about someone getting a couple 40lbers east of Isla Carmen, maybe an hour out from the island.

Started the day looking for roosterfish near Nopolo but all I hooked was a pufferfish on the switch rod. I should have taken a picture though I figured that this one was so aggressive, I'd land a few more. They tried to jump on the hook but they were just too small so no picture.

Next we tried right off the big rock at Nopolo and got in a school of ladyfish, perfect fare for the 7wt ECHO switch
rod. After filling my need for quantity, we went looking for quality.

We saw a lot of sargasso broken off the bottom and floating freely in the channel. From there we found school after school of juvenile dorado, nothing bigger then 15lbs. The school would move around so that kept us busy chasing after them but we also ran into skipjack and huge schools of rays. There was one ray that had to be 7 feet across cruising around but at no time did I contemplate a cast to it........well maybe once.

I was hoping to bring back a dorado for dinner but all I seemed to hook was hens so I passed on distressing the future gene pool.

We then headed over to Isla Carmen to hunt for my ceviche, a trigger fish. I am a true believer in Murphy's Law and we we want something, it ain't around. I can usually count on a triger fish a day but so far, zero, nada, zilch.

Fun day none the less with a the switch rod getting a taste of Baja, getting tired of bringing skip jacks to the surface and boating those pesky chickens.

I'll try and get over my head in fish tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment