$$$WE BUY VINTAGE FISHING TACKLE$$$
RODS: CANE WOOD TRULINES
REELS: FLY & BIG GAME PRE 1945
LURES: WOOD BONE IVORY BAKELITE

Monday, June 14, 2010

Lee's report 6/13


The water was perfect this morning, flat and the wind was no where to be seen. The funny thing was we got maybe 30 to 50 yards from the harbor mouth and busted on some of those big jacks we tried for yesterday. It is pretty funny to be hooked up and watch the cars the cars drive by along the malacon. The schools of large jacks were everywhere, we counted up to six schools at one time cruising around hitting the anchovies. We'd drift into their path and BANG, a cardio workout ensued. I hooked one right away, landed him and we moved down near the Oasis and hooked up again. After that one we moved down towards where the El Presidente was because I worn out after only 30 minutes of fishing. I must add that the ECHO 2 10wt and Waterworks Lamson Vanquish reels really made it easy. The Vanquish reel is so smooth both with the fish running on the drag and retrieving line it was a breeze to get these big fish in.

Out in front of the El Presidente, man I miss staying there, we hooked up into some small roosterfish, around 10 lbs and another jack albeit a smaller one. After I saw the size of the roosterfish, I switched to my 8wt ECHO 2 with a Airflo 300 grn Depthfinder. I am running a 300 Quickmax on my 10wt.

Later we moved to Nopolo and fished off the big rock some 30 yards as we saw some jack action in the area. They moved back towards us and I hooked into the biggest jack I ever have. It took me far into the backing, 50lb Jerry Brown braid in blue(got to look good too).

We boated the jack but he had taken the fly very deep and was bleeding heavily. We asked some guys hand lining from the rocks if they would like the fish as it was going to die and they were ecstatic, especially after finding out we were not going to charge them.

They tossed out a hand line, we hooked the jack and they pulled him to them. I told them I did not want to hear about a handliner landing a big jack at Nopolo later that day.......they laughed.

I tried to find a trigger fish for some ceviche later that day but we were blanked. I did land a few cabrilla on the 8wt and we finished the day in wind and swells out in front of the harbor while looking for more jacks. They were no where to be found but I'll return Monday Morning with a floating line and popper for some hot top water action.

Carlos, I already have 5 roosterfish to the boat..........................................

Keep those lines wet............

No comments:

Post a Comment