$$$WE BUY VINTAGE FISHING TACKLE$$$
RODS: CANE WOOD TRULINES
REELS: FLY & BIG GAME PRE 1945
LURES: WOOD BONE IVORY BAKELITE

Monday, June 14, 2010

Lee "chopper" Baermann report 6/12


We started off late this morning because we couldn't make bait. Oh there was plenty of anchovies the size of small submarines outside the harbor but no sardinas to be found. After 45 minutes of searching, our tanks were full.

The weather has been cool, for June that is, more like May and windy. Today hopefully starts a change in the we had a breeze this morning but that went away about noon and the water laid down to a nice smooth surface.

We had the maiden charter for the Cuervo Especial, Captain Francisco Munoz new boat. A nice 26 footer, lighter then his 22 foot panga and it flies across the water.

The first I stopped was about 100 yards from the point where the old brick dome use to be across from Isla Coronado. Sorry but I don't remember the name. Third cast and I was on to something big. It reminded me that I should be thankful I started out using my ECHO 2 10wt instead of the 8wt. Francisco thought it was either a jack crevalle or a roosterfish because it nevcr went to the rocks but what it did do was head for the sargasso. This is everywhere below the surface and whatever I had was hiding in it. Twice we had to move over to it only to have it free itself and swim away. Finally we saw color and it was the biggest pargo I ever have seen or caught. I have a 16lb dog snapper to my credit but this one dwarfed that fish. I suspect that's what we'll be eating tomorrow night over at Francisco's house to go along with the chocolate clams.

From there we went to Punta Colorado but we didn't find anything there and moved to San Bruno to look for roosterfish. The water was really turned up but where it met the blue water, fish were running the seam. I caught ladyfish after ladyfish here in the seam but nothing else. They were small so I switched to my 6wt and had a ball.

From there we moved to Mangrove Point and I hooked some green jacks that were fun.

After that we moved to Isla Coronado where I caught a new species for me. Don't know the name but it is sure pretty.

Then we tried a few more spots but finsihed up at the harbor catching 12 inch long big eye. Now this is a bait fish but fun on a 6wt.

Good starting day with the numerous ladyfish and one big pargo. Tomorrow we head south.

No comments:

Post a Comment