$$$WE BUY VINTAGE FISHING TACKLE$$$
RODS: CANE WOOD TRULINES
REELS: FLY & BIG GAME PRE 1945
LURES: WOOD BONE IVORY BAKELITE

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Loreto w/ Lee 6/15


Well, the good news is that water has warmed up some in a few areas, we saw a small dorado in the channel and the jacks are still kicking butt..............at least mine.

The bad news is there are no fish other then jacks(and the ones around the harbor had lockjaw to anything but live bait this morning, and roosterfish for fly tossers. The usual places I have caught pargo and cabrillo are not producing but then again, they are in the cold water areas.

We started out the same spot as yesterday that produced big jacks but they were either full of huge anchovies or just plain off the bite. After many attempts at a hook up we left, especially after seeing the only hook up on live bait.

As we went to Isla Carmen, we saw one lone small dorado, a harbinger of change? We also saw more schools of large jacks seemingly everywhere but they all sounded when we approached.

We then fished one of may favorite bays on Carmen where I have always gotten cabrillo or pargo but still nothing.

My wife was with me and one of the deals was we look for dolphins and other seas life as well as fish. We found a few turtles for her to see but we did not find the dolphins around.

Near Punta Colorado, we found 3 schools of jacks and I changed flies on my ECHO ION 10 wt to a bull candy streamer from a clouser. The first group who got into range, was cast to and the leader turned and brought the masses to eat. They attacked the fly and the fight was on. I'll make the story short and just say, I've boated 120lb sailfish who didn't take as long or put the hurt to me as this 30+ pound jack did. It was the biggest I boated so far on this trip and bottomed out the 30lb Boga. I don'tknow how long it took to boat but I can honestly tell you I thought about breaking it off near the end. BEAST is all I can say about it.

We saw some more after that but I opted for the rocks and cabrilla. I wanted one for dinned as well as a trigger fish for some ceviche but as it goes, when you want one you can never find one. I landed a few more small cabrilla and we went in about 1:30 after the bait was expended.

We take 3 days off and come back for 4 more on the water so as I know it, you will to.

No comments:

Post a Comment