$$$WE BUY VINTAGE FISHING TACKLE$$$
RODS: CANE WOOD TRULINES
REELS: FLY & BIG GAME PRE 1945
LURES: WOOD BONE IVORY BAKELITE

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lee gets a golden grouper


I left the harbor today with less then a handful of sardinas but I didn't care. I've known all along we fly fishermen can catch fish with out chum. I also know it sure helps to keep the dorado and roosterfish around up here.

First stop was the eastern side of Isla Carmen from just below Bahia Balandra to La Cholla. We saw action action and more action and whenever we made it to where that action was......it was gone. This went on for an hour when we finally got to where it was happening and saw a huge school of needlefish. We swore that some of that action was dorado and confirmed it when we saw some jumping in the distance but we could never catch up to it. I did however see one small hen swim by but she went deep when the sardina hit the water, never to resurface while we were there.

I then fished the northern end of Carmen from La Cholla to Punta Tintorerra. Nothing along the ends but it was a cabrilla a cast in the middle. It started with a pargo, we could have filled the boat with the cabrilla I boated and tossed in some ladyfish to boot. I also caught 6 snakes, coronetfish. Highlights were another giant hawk fish and finally..........I got a GOLDEN GROUPER. After all these years, I got one!

All these fish were caught on the same fly. A pufferfish even tried to eat it but it was too big for the little guy

One more day to go this trip but it is a sight seeing outing with the wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment